Tuesday, March 10, 2009

iBook my love

As I switch to KDE from gnome I tried to update my drivers for my graphics card so I can enable desktop effects. Big mistake! I downloaded the file from ATI and installed (with sh /"file" at the command terminal). Reboot and... black screen and PANIC!!!
Boot from Fedora DVD, choose restore, read the screen, and after the chmod /mnt/sysimage I get in the command mode. The aticonfig --initial -f I write down from the end message of ATI driver installer doesn't work. Now what?! Now we go to the good'oll iBook and come the internet for a solution. Found uninstall command for ATi driver and we are back in business. Than, with desktop environment back on, I could find this which worked (almost) like a charm. I gone on with the first steps but had the devine inspiration to do new-kernel-pkg --mkinitrd --update $(rpm -q --queryformat="%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}\n" kernel | tail -n 1) BEFORE restarting X11 with init 3 (witch crashed my system). After reboot dough everything was fine and I get the awesome KDE desktop effects. Still the hero of the day is iBook. It was my first apple laptop (my second all time) and I give it to mom 3 yrs ago after 2 yrs of using it myself. It still goes so it deserves a picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment